Thursday, March 19, 2009

No matter what...

The night, heavy with mist and dew, rolls in waves through the mountain chasm in which I stagger. The moon hid behind dark clouds, afraid to show its face. The scarce trees, clad in a gray cloak, move listlessly as the shadows dance in a cold wind that disturbs the silence of these hours of darkness.
The night appears dreary beyond relief. It seems that I have been here before, I must have gone in a circle. Which way do I turn? Where do I go? I have no one to call, nowhere to go, and no strength to try. The mist and clouds have enclosed me. I surrender. My knees give way beneath me and I slump to the ground. Lying there listless, fearful and numb, my eyes begin to close. The nothingness around me has won.
Suddenly I jerk awake. What had I seen? Was it a sparkle of light above me? Or was it a glint in the eye of some creature come to devour me? Or could it just have been my tense imagination? I take in the stillness around me, not quite daring to hope that I will see the light another time. I drift once more into the nothingness, but startle awake as the glint of light flashes yet again. What was it? My confused mind could not make any sense of it. I slowly pull myself from the ground intent on finding the answer.
Wondering about the newfound strength within me, I stumble in the direction from which the light came. Seconds drag on and become minutes, minutes become hours and still I have not found my answer. The path is steeper, the walls of rock higher on either side and the darkness impenetrable …. Or so I thought.
But what was that? Once more the light glistens above me, this time clearer and stronger. Without heeding where I go, I fight desperately on, until I can struggle no farther. The walls of the canyon rise on all sides except the way I just came from. That bleak nothingness again creeps around me as I stand in misery. I was lost forever. The end had come.
Suddenly the rock around me crumbles, the clouds flee and the impenetrable darkness gives way to a soft glow. I gasp in awe as I find myself standing on a protruding slab of solid rock. And once again I see that sparkling light, only multiplied by thousands and thousands, dancing for joy in the heavens above me.
Once more my knees buckle under me, for I had found the light. Or maybe... the light had found me. I gaze in wonder at the stars glittering in the vastness above me. Once set on their course they’ve never strayed. They shine like signals of comfort each night, and even shed their light when hidden and unseen. As when the sun fades them into invisibility during the day, or when the clouds hide them behind their dreary faces. They seem so still in the night sky, yet they are fire balls of energy traveling on their predestined way. No matter what, they are always there, giving hope to the hopeless, guidance to the lost, strength to the weary and light to those engulfed in darkness.

The stars in their courses never stray,
held in their place by Love’s strong sway,
shining like beacons of hope each night
inspiring me to stay in the fight

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the poem!
    it was encouraging!
    Maggie Burnett

    ReplyDelete